27 February 2017
Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
Check Siding, Roofs and Gutters for Damage in the Spring.
It’s spring and what typically comes to mind for most homeowners is spring cleaning! But there are more important things that can be done in and around your home. Winter can wreak havoc on a home’s gutters, roof, siding and more…especially if problems existed previously – they can only get worse with exposed to freezing ice and water. Follow this spring maintenance checklist to ensure your home is safe, dry and ready for the summer weather.
- Siding: Clean off mold, mildew and pollen with a pressure washer. Check for damaged siding that is tearing way from the home. Also look for wood rot and peeling paint. Sand and repaint if necessary. Check for termite damage. If you find a problem, call a certified siding installation company who can do an inspection and repair the problem.
- Windows/Entry Doors:Inspect and replace caulking, weather stripping and seals if needed. You don’t want air coming into your home when windows and doors are closed.
- Window and door screens: Clean screens with a scrub brush and hose. Wipe down and dry sills. Check for holes in screen; mend or replace torn screens. Wipe down and dry sills.
- Exterior Wood Structures: Check wood decks, rails, siding, pergolas and other structures to see if they need to be stained. Keeping them stained and resealed every few years helps them last longer.
- Gutters and downspouts: Clean gutters and downspouts and check for clogs. Repair or reattach gutters that maybe damaged or have pulled away from the house. Use a hose to check for gutter leaks. If you find some, dry the area and use a waterproof sealant to fix it.
- Roof: Inspect roof for missing shingles, check flashing, eaves, and soffits. If you see anything that needs a closer look, call a roofing repair specialist to do an inspection.
- Landscape: Cut back and trim all overgrown bushes and trees, especially anything scratching up against the house affecting the paint or siding or causing shade where you don’t want it.
- Sprinklers: Inspect sprinkler system for exposed lines, leaky valves, and faulty sprinkler heads. Test the sprinklers in each zone and make sure each area is getting the right amount of water. Make adjustments. Call a professional if your system isn’t working properly. Don’t wait until it’s season to fix it or you won’t have a vibrant green yard this spring.
If you need windows or exterior doors replaced, siding replaced or roof repairs, contact the home improvement experts at Trim A Seal in Northwest Indiana. We've been keeping area homes safe and sound for over 60 years!