These tips may seem obvious but if your thinking of putting your home on the market or just want your home to have maximum curb appeal – this list is worth reviewing. If you want to increase the value of your home, envision yourself as a buyer pulling up to your home and ask yourself honestly what their first impression would be. The first thing anyone notices is the exterior of the house.
Recent studies show that high-quality, professional looking landscaping can add 5-10% percent to a home’s asking price. Where to start? Best to start simple. Clean up what you have. Here’s a quick guide to a fresh looking home exterior.
1. Weed, Edge and Mulch Beds. Start by weeding existing beds. Then add a three inch layer of mulch to all beds to create a colorful, fresh look. Mulch helps hold in moisture, so your plants and shrubs will than you later. Cut fresh edges where grass meets the mulch for a more professional look.
2. Fertilize Your Lawn. For lush, green grass your neighbors will envy, start regular fertilizer treatments and continue with a regular weed & feed schedule each season. Try and popular brand like Scott’s that is easy to apply. Spend a little extra money to buy a spreader, which quickly and evenly distributes fertilizer over your lawn.
3. Trim Trees & Shrubs. Cut back dead limbs or old growth to encourage new growth. A clean, trimmed landscape looks much more appealing than out of control trees and shrubs.
4. Improve Your Entry. The first think your guest sees is the entrance to your home. If the door is made of wood and in good shape, then a new coat of paint or refinishing it may be the answer. But if you have a steel door and you notice it is dented, replace it with an inexpensive steel door, a fiberglass door or upgrade to a nice wood grain door.Installing a new doorcan give your home a secure and updated appearance.
6. Check Your Roof. Your roof is a major part of your home’s exterior and highly visible to passer-bys. If your roof has torn or missing shingles, it might be time to repair your roof or a have a new roof installed. Most roofs last 15-20 years. Installing a roof on your Indiana home will not only spruce up your home’s exterior, it's an important part of weatherproofing and saving energy on utilities.
Consider talking with a professional landscaper or home improvement company for more ways on updating your home’s exterior. Many of these improvements will also help increase the value of your home and make it easier to sell.
Trim A Seal is one of Northwest Indiana's largest home improvement contractors. We install energy efficient replacement windows, plus entry doors to improve the appearance of your home’s exterior. We have been providing the best quality products and services for your home for over 60 years.